When it comes to engagement sessions, I always get asked what to wear. Today, I wanted to share some of my best tips and advice for what to wear during your engagement sessions so you feel comfortable and allow your personality to shine on camera as a couple! Here are a few things to consider when you are deciding what to wear.
My style is to have you moving around a lot. I don’t overly pose, since my photography is about capturing the two of you in love! I’ll walk you through natural posing, easy story-telling, and a simple connection that will make you forget the camera is even there.
Here are some tips:
- Wear something you are comfortable moving in.
- Flowy skirts or dresses photograph beautifully
- Bring Options to have a variety
- Send over outfit ideas for input beforehand
- Bring multiple options to the session to get an idea of how the outfit looks with the specific location.
- Options for accessories such as hats or jackets are also recommended.
Instead of trying to perfectly match your outfit to your partner’s outfit, think of choosing complimentary colors. For example, if you are wearing a blush dress with nude heels, your partner could wear navy and gray, with a touch of blush to compliment.
Things to keep in mind:
- There is nothing wrong with neutral colors. A softer color palette fits into almost all natural outdoor environments.
- Earthy colors that are not too bright or distracting. I suggest avoiding too bright of colors since they can be distracting on camera.
- Check out my engagement session Pinterest Board for more inspiration!
Adding unique patterns and textures such as fringe, faux fur, linen, denim, etc. can be a fun way to add some fun elements to your photos This also lets you create multiple looks! You can add a jacket or sweater to change up your look, without having to change completely. You would be very surprised to find Vintage clothing at thrift stores. There are some great spots in Indianapolis where you can find some great pieces!
Hair & Makeup
Schedule your hair and makeup trial for your wedding day on the day of your session. This lets you see what looks you like, and practice different styles! Allow plenty of buffer time in case hair and makeup is running behind, you don’t want to be late for your session. t’s also a great time to get a manicure and treat yourself!
Just be YOU!
These are your photos. My goal is for you to feel comfortable and confident in what you are wearing. Your outfit should reflect your personality I want you to love the photos and feel completely like yourself in front of the camera. I also LOVE when couples bring props or special items that are unique and true to them. Past couples brought their dogs, hats, their favorite food, champagne, and a blanket. Remember, just be YOU! Be sure to also check out my blog post all about getting ready for an engagement session.